Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

Ahhh...a day off to enjoy with family! A day to reflect and be thankful. A day for...4 AM sales??

Yep, that's right. I even hate to admit it, but I did it. My sister wanted certain hot items, so we rose before even a crack of dawn and headed out. We switched off standing in line to keep warm, meeting all kinds of people, and all clamoring for the same items.

Our trip was somewhat successful, but then required me to have a much needed nap before doing some heavy cooking!

My camera battery died once again (argh!) but my sister cooked a beautiful bird. I am just not a turkey person. I ate my obligatory pieces and enjoyed the surroundings. Susan and her husband, her 2 girls, and friends of theirs all indulged in a great dinner. I made the mashed potatoes and a stuffing recipe with apples and sausage. I didn't overdo, I felt great!
We finished off the night by watching "The Ultimate Gift", with James Garner. What a great movie to watch with the family!

Then, I started to remember Thanksgivings past. You see, I am not much of a traditionalist. To me, the more different, the better! A couple of years ago, I put this into practice with an impromptu trip to NYC for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade!

The rest is told in pictures below...but I have to tell you one part of it in words. After getting into NYC very late on Wednesday, hungry and tired, and not sleeping much that night due to parade noise - the only ones to get up early were myself and begrudingly, Ian. We had to stake out our spot! We tried to hold room for our friends and Megan (NOT a morning girl) but the crowds were thick and our cell phones didn't work to find each other!

Well, Ian and I waited a long time in the cold to watch the parade. I didn't know where my daughter was or if she even was there watching. We couldn't move from our place due to the crowds. When the parade finally started, we were really excited!

Unfortunately...it wasn't long after the parade started that we realized that our spot at the corner of 32nd and Broadway couldn't be a WORSE spot. None of the acts were allowed to perform past 31st street to avoid conflict with the televised portion! I couldn't believe it. All that way and time and waiting...only to watch the parade go by.
A bit disappointing, to say the least...but at least we experienced it in person, right?

Well...after the parade and the mayhem and millions of people...we found our way back to the apartment and finally connected with Molly. The story she told was incredible:

They had all slept in and left the apartment close to 9AM (the parade started at 9). She wandered around and went into a coffee shop to get coffee. Somehow, on the other side of the coffee shop was a door that was open. It was guarded but he wasn't paying any attention...

So Molly and her gang and Megan wandered in...to the GRANDSTAND...and sat down! What an amazing way to experience the Macy's Day parade! Megan reported later about "those girls and their dancing" (the Rockettes!) and the bands and the red carpet...And afterward, how they had all met...Katie Couric...she had asked Molly if she was the store manager she was supposed to meet there!

I am glad they had an incredible experience, but I can't help being a LITTLE bit jealous...I hope my daughter remembers it when she is older!

Enjoy the pictures and stories below.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

INCREDIBLE STORY FILLED WITH EXCITEMENT AND DISAPPOINTMENT....YOU SHOULD MAKE IT INTO A "MY STORY!"

Mon Nov 26, 02:04:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Bill said...

OK....it's still Thanksgiving.....WHERE'S THE BEEF?

Sat Dec 22, 07:20:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home