Saturday, October 14, 2006

First view of Spain

So, here we were! Made it into the airport, through immigration, and then it was off to find our hotel - Novotel in Girona. Yes, the discovery of why the cheap flights work was starting to make sense. What RyanAir does, is offers super-cheap flights to outlying cities that might have otherwise been unknown. This forces the passenger to either bus or taxi into the city of their destination, or stay the night in the otherwise "unknown" town.

By this time, Jenny and I were beyond exhaustion. I couldn't seem to find a way to the hotel, though they were supposed to have a shuttle, and really, now I had to use my Spanish. But wait, I couldn't understand what they were saying! It wasn't Spanish at all - it was Catalan!

We ended up sharing a taxi with a woman and her child who reluctantly spoke Spanish with me. It got us to the hotel. I vaguely recall we looked at the hotel dinner menu, decided it was too expensive, popped some popcorn, ate an apple - and went to bed. Intention - take the 9 AM bus from the aiport to Barcelona, BABY!

Um, let's see...I think we woke up...at 11:30 the next morning????? OH NO! My day in Spain.
Oh well - we got ready quickly, repacked, headed to the airport where we found the BARCELONA BUS! It would be okay - we needed the rest!

So, the first leg of our trip went a little like this:

Yeah! We're on the bus, we made it! We don't really know where we are going, but to BARCELONA, BABY!!!

Just in case you can't find it, they paint the destination on the side. :)

Hmmm, which way do we go? My heart was with Spain, Jenny's with France! Her wish was to come true later...

The gorgeous view from my bus window.
I didn't realize Barcelona was such a large, thriving city. I felt right at home!

The apartment city life!

We did have some funny things happen on our trip - in this case, the bus didn't allow a motorcyclist to pass on the right. The rider exploded into anger, and started kicking the bus and yelling what I would imagine were a LOT of obscenities!!!

After all of this, we arrived at the bus station and bought a map. I knew the hotel was close by but not sure exactly how far. We got information for the subway and tried to make that work - a huge challenge with suitcases and changing lines and wondering where in the world we would end up. The journey was painful, but when we emerged from the metro station, we were treated to a gorgeous afternoon blue sky and a clean city spot right next to the Meditteranean Sea! Stay tuned for the exciting next chapter...since everyone was closed at that point for siesta...

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

In the picture of you on the bus....is that an animal to your left looking at you???
Some great shots!

Sun Oct 15, 10:39:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home