Monday, October 02, 2006

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign!


Wow, cheap!! A beer from US$1.03?? Vodka and herring from US$3.13??? This just cracked us up! So that's why so many were on Holiday in Poland!!!!! So...onto London. We weren't going to get to spend any time there - this was simply a convenience of sorts to get us to our next flight. What I didn't realize was how much this day would take a toll on both of us.

Since we had been traveling already since 3 AM or so...I should have counted on the fact that we would be tired. Tired and hungry. Jetlagged a bit. Out of sorts. Ready to call it a day?

But noooo, not me!!! I had my sights set on BARCELONA, BABY!!! My dream since high school was to go to Spain. I mean, since that was where I was SUPPOSED to go as an exchange student, you know! Though it would be a small taste - nothing was going to stop me now! Not the Pope, not planes, trains, or automobiles (or lack thereof!), not the Late Game, NOTHING.

So, here is how it went...we arrived at London's Stanstead airport. We had to go through customs and retrieve our bags. The problem was that we had to take our next flight - to Barcelona - at another London airport across town. No problem, right?

Nobody said that there would be limited bus schedules, and I thought we had plenty of time. Hmmm. I thought wrong.

We went to get the bus schedule, and found out the bus we needed...was boarding NOW, about 10 minutes away. Otherwise, there was a risk we would miss our flight (even though we had several hours before it departed!)!

So off we went. Jenny's marathon skills kicked in and she was gone. She found the bus and I caught up, breathless and with a seemingly broken arm and lungs, only to find out we had to get tickets for this trip. The bus driver was none too happy with us, but did hang in there and held the bus for us (this was definitely a God intervention, one of many, thank you!!!).

We rode the bus across town (it was HOT and very STUFFY) as I listened to proper English being used on the bus with people and their cell phones. It seemed to take FOREVER to get there!

We finally arrived, freshened up a bit and found something to eat. We were just missing Poland and Bartosz - when we saw these signs pictured above and had a great laugh!!!!

By now, it was late in the afternoon and we boarded yet another plane. Espana bound, baby!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I'm amazed at how well you recount the details of this trip months later. Did you journal or do you just have that good of a memory???

Thu Oct 05, 08:36:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Kirby Hasseman said...

As Bill would attest...I am just jealous that beer was this cheap! How much are the flights?

Tue Oct 10, 09:22:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home