Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The battle has just begun!

Ahhhhhh, the freshness of spring!
Leaves on the trees, grass growing, flowers budding!
Such a breath of fresh air after a long winter...

And...the battle begins.

1. The grass grows.
2. The neighbors mow before I can even unbury the mower in the garage under the bikes, snow shovel, and yard sal stuff I am "saving". 3. The mower doesn't start when I finally unbury it.
4. Another week passes. The neighbors have mowed 3 times. The grass is tall enough to hide bunnies, kittens, and other forms of life.
5. I get the mower started.
6. I discover dog poop, dead birds, wasp nests, and hoses that were left out all winter.
7. I must clean up all dog poop, dead birds, wasp nests, and hoses that were left out all winter.
8. I must deal with conflict and face the neighbors and their dog poop, or complain about it all summer.
9. I abandon all attempts to mow the grass and depart the premises.


And then....there are THISTLES!

These nasty buggers come up every year. Actually, they don't even die in the winter. Ever.
So, once they are 2 feet tall, I begin the thistle battle.
This has gone on since I lived here!
I have tried EVERYTHING. Trust me.
But I am open to advice on whether I can douse them with gasoline, set them on fire, and live to tell about it.
???????

The one most awesome story I must tell is how my neighbor Cody, in the 4th grade, came to see if Megan could play.
Jokingly, I told him she wasn't available, but I could sure use a hand weeding!
He went home, got his gloves and tools, and proceeded to tell me all about plants, weeds, and animals.
He is going to be a vet some day!
He stuck with it for a solid 1/2 hour, until he was called by his mom for baseball practice.
She should be proud!
I sent him home with some flowers to plant and an orange popsicle.

I forgot to take a "before" picture.
Below is the result of HOURS of back breaking work! For one little area!


After I pulled all the thistles and dandelions...


This is what came from that ONE small area!


Looks easy from here...but it was NOT!!!


More to follow!
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Holy cow that's a lot of thistles, dear! Good work....

Wed May 13, 07:12:00 AM 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home