Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My first official 5k race...

As you may or may not know...I have been jogging for a year now.
When I started, I couldn't run even a 1/4 mile. I could never run in school and never thought I could run at all.
I guess my motivation was a few things related to health.
I hated every second of it though!
Strangely...something was keeping me motivated.
Usually when I "can't" do something in my mind, it's over.
But with this, it was like I was trying to prove myself wrong!
Suddenly, something clicked with the whole thing. My breathing developed, I changed shoes. Then, I daresay I was looking forward to it. I could finally run a whole mile without stopping (3 months later).
I started running almost 3 last December on regular basis, up to about 5 days a week.
My goal for this spring was to do a 5k.
There were so many to choose from!
So when my company was sponsoring people to do the race for the cure, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to reach goal #1 and help a great cause at the same time.

And a perfect opportunity it was.



I arrived super early Saturday morning, not knowing what to expect - just that there would be a LOT of people.
However, 6:30 am was a bit early!
I got a great parking spot and just started walking around, checking out downtown from this perspective.
Tried not to be nervous.
What did I have to be nervous about?


At 8:30am, they were having a "survivor's celebration" on the statehouse lawn.
It was a perfectly beautiful May morning, a bit on the cool side, but refreshing after a long week of rain.


I wandered down and around, Tim Horton booths all around. Too bad I don't drink coffee!

It wouldn't be long until the crowds would arrive.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home