Sunday, March 23, 2008

Our 30 seconds under the overpass...Easter

What if everyone gave 30 seconds of their day to paying it forward? To help one person outside of their "comfort zone"?

We began Easter Sunday with a full Homewood Suites breakfast. Some were dressed in Easter attire, others were just rolling out of bed (um, that was us - though I was in my workout clothes since I have been keeping on track!!).

On our streetcar tour the day prior, I saw a little church with a sign outside that read "Rebuilding Hope, Rebuilding our Community". Looked like that was where we were going to end up to celebrate Easter.

I wasn't sure what it was going to be but knew it would be different than our fav Newark Naz. I thought it perhaps would be a gospel revival church or something of the like but I really just wasn't sure...so I prepped the kids at breakfast for what we could be walking into...something quite different than they may be used to.

Actually, it was a small church and reminded us of Real Life on the East side, minus the fact the interior seemed to be brand new (rebuilt?) and very bright (painted yellow and orange on the inside). We knew we were okay when they welcomed us inside the front door. There were maybe 25 people or so in the congregation. The music was just a guy singing with a synth. There were drums on the stage and a piano, so I was tempted to offer to play :) but was of course just there to enjoy.

The crowd was mixed. A couple of families, a lot of kids (who left after the intro music for an apparent "kid's church). We saw dreadlocks of all kinds and one lady who had BRIGHT red hair. There was an older couple and several people who were alone, but all seemed to know each other. They greeted us with hugs and handshakes, and presented us with a welcome gift.

Actually, things seemed much like what we were used to experiencing, until the pastor got up to give his sermon. He was very gifted and passionate with his message, but did deliver it VERY LOUDLY. He didn't NEED a microphone, but used one anyway, and his message was excellent and just awesome for an Easter Sunday service. There were some interesting reactions from the congregation that we HADN'T experienced. At the end of the service there was an altar call. Would you believe, there were 8 people that went forward to be saved! It was a neat experience and one we won't forget.

There was obvious need in this community...from those outside and in. All of this lead to my title phrase. You may or may not know I have been studying a devotional with our praise team, titled "30 days under the overpass". The general message is from a person who became homeless on purpose to experience the life of the less fortunate. It is a powerful book, and really makes you think about how to affect (positively) the world around you and what we are called to do.

But believe it or not, and I never thought I would say this, it is hard to do. I always tended to think that I was being who I needed to be to others around me. Most of the time, I am nice to people. I try always to think of others before myself. I help out whenever I can even if it means I don't get what I need done. I try to offer what I can whenever I can. I would give what I have to someone in need. But what am I doing to truly help people in need? People who are homeless, sick, poor, in jail. Maybe even more importantly, what are my kids learning from what I do (or don't do) and how to have an impact on this world?

So, I had gone to New Orleans with a solid intent to serve, even while vacationing. I was certain that, even if we couldn't find the time or ability at home to start, here it might be right in front of us and undeniable. Well, I had prayed for guidance in this. I mean, I didn't know what we were going to find or how we were going to do it. It wasn't something I could really picture in my mind.

We had driven past the tent city the day before (see previous post). I didn't know what to do, if it was legitimate, if it was safe? The kids and I talked about it. We became overwhelmed. Our original intent was to take the book's suggestion - give away a bottle of water with a granola bar instead of handing out money, so that's what we had started with. We started looking for people on the streets in need. Once we were approached by a guy carrying a gas can. He asked for money "since he ran out of gas" so I gave him a dollar and didn't feel like I helped a bit (in fact, Ian was sure that the gas can was a prop). We saw people on park benches and sitting in the streets, but as you approached them it became obvious that they weren't in need. They were just resting, or enjoying the weather, or eating a snack.

Then the fears set in. We couldn't approach the tent city, it was too overwhelming and we weren't sure what it was about. We couldn't walk around the streets looking for needy people. I really felt vulnerable, which is not generally something I am used to feeling. I can walk through New York city and never feel that way. There was something different here.

So, we asked for guidance and got our bottles ready with the bars taped to them. We left church and drove down some side streets near the underpass, and came across a guy who said he had a flat tire and needed 75 cents for air at the gas station. Would you believe, I actually asked him how 75 cents would help, I didn't believe him that the gas station would charge for air!. I became fearful that he was going to rob us if I got my purse out. I told him I was sorry I couldn't help and moved on. As I drove away, I was kicking myself! What the heck! Here was someone that appeared to truly need help and I just drive away in my fancy rental car and Easter clothes and question his motives! I have become hardened and programmed in ways I didn't realize.

Well, I pulled into a parking lot and dug for some change. We were going to go back. But the street was only one way, so I pulled out and got ready to turn...right under the overpass.

The first guy Megan spotted, she got out of the car and took him the water bottle and wished him a nice Easter. Then someone approached the car asking for any help. I gave him the bottle and the bar and my handful of change we had for the guy who needed it for the air. He did a dance and called me his "Sista" and that may God bless us. He didn't want to get too near as he "hadn't washed" but was happy we had come by. This gave us an opportunity - a glimpse at these tent homes - only to realize these really were people in desperate need.

I know what may be going through your mind. We were being taken advantage of, these naive people, a single mom and her kids in their Easter clothes. Even if that was the case...who were we to judge? How did we know who needed help and who didn't? These people are LIVING in TENTS. And not just a few drunk men out of control. There were families and people just all over. It really did feel overwhelming - but then I realized, even if we touched just one...we didn't know if that may have changed their day, given them a little nourishment...even just a little encouragement.

So we rounded the corner and returned to the man with the flat tire. He had by now borrowed a tool to remove the flat tire. Ian got out with a bottle of water and I with a new handful of change. I handed over the change and Ian handed over the water, made sure he had what he needed and moved on.

The next stop was our last for today. This was still under the overpass, but on the other side. I found a place I could pull over. The kids took the bottles and handed them out. One man shook their hands. Unfortunately, the visit ended when one of the last people they were talking with became rather ill and we had to leave in a hurry. It put Megan over the edge. We found a gas station where we could wash up and talk about it, and there was someone else in need. Ian and I handed him water and some candy and asked if anyone had wished him a happy Easter. He asked that God bless us as we moved back toward our car.

I don't think the kids really believed people lived that way. It's one thing to know they are there...to read or hear about it...and it sure is easy to ignore, but I don't think they will forget it any time soon.

So yes, there is much to be done. Yes, it is overwhelming. But to the kid's question - "Why isn't anyone helping these people, mom?"

I say we need to try. Even if it is only 30 seconds under the overpass. It's a start. What if everyone did that? It might just become a habit...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the story! I was wondering what hurricane damage and victims you'd come across on your trip. Jenn and I did a lot of French Quarter stuff when she lived in New Orleans - so much fun and SO different from central Ohio!!
You are so right -- "who are we to judge." If you are giving and serving for the right reasons, then you are doing the best you can. You can't know how needy the recipients are or are not... you can only do the best YOU can.
We had a great Easter and good family time ... low-key dinner after the whole clan was at church. I'm so glad you found a church for Easter services!
Steph.

Mon Mar 24, 01:52:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Fifa-Dude said...

Even though he became ill i think he aprecciated it along with all the other people. We made a happy easter for as many people as we could

Mon Mar 24, 05:05:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW!!!!!
Brian mentioned you during "group" on Sunday. We all wondered how things were going.

What a beautiful to spend Easter Sunday. Not only did you minister to the people under the overpass...you created a beautiful,"teachable moment" for your children, that they will carry with them.

I admire your willingness to get outside the "zone" and the ways that your children will now look to find ways to continue to impact our world!
I love you!
Melissa

Mon Mar 24, 08:26:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Bill said...

I'm with Melissa. We've got to do more of what the samaritan did...."Go to where they are...! Lok forward to hearing more...maybe from the kids's perspective too....at our next small group.

Wed Mar 26, 08:38:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home