Sunday, April 09, 2006

Spring could be springing...?



Ohhhh finally. Yes, I think it might be safe to say. I know, I know, we had a mild winter...yada yada yada. But to this girl with an itch to travel and intolerance for cold, dreary days, and long nights...these are welcome signs that I have survived one more winter in Ohio.
What, you say, a tree with no leaves? how is that a sign of spring?
Wellll at my house, and this should surprise noone of the blatant oddity, my little pin oak tree in the front yard is a sign of hope. Unlike most trees in central Ohio, come fall it does not lose it's leaves. (LOVE that, as I hate to rake!). Now, the downside is, in the winter it makes you feel colder when the wind blows (which is often on Heatherview Lane) and rustles those dry leaves.
But the upside is that when those dead leaves finally fall off around April, it's only because there are buds forming where those dead leaves were hanging on. Underneath is a new leaf, and I just love that for many reasons...but mostly, a sign that spring is coming, almost here...it's safe for green to return.
Another sign, the daffodils, that survived their first year at my house with the late season snows falling on their tender blosssoms. Thanks to my good friend Cindi who gave these to me in the fall, and I must have taken a desperate few minutes to plant (since I totally don't remember doing so!). Because now I am really enjoying their buttercup color and yearn for spring even more!
The grass greened up almost overnight this week, and mowing season will now be in full swing. Great thanks to my next door neighbors who just mowed today. You know what that means. In that sense, it's keeping up with the Jones's.
Of course, after a chilly weekend, we are expecting 70's this week, but we'll just enjoy it.
PS for those I haven't talked to, Melissa and Ernie and the girls are moving come June...he took a job in Kansas City and the company will buy their house if they don't sell it in 60 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home