Monday, October 01, 2007

October 1st, 13 years ago

Once a year, I remember and allow myself to do so.

A few weeks ago, I told you the story of my father, Charlie Cox. At the time, all I had to offer were pictures of his gravesite. Many of you who read my blog really don't know my family, and so I would just like to share a picture of my father with you.

This was taken just a few weeks before he passed away. We were walking to Heather's wedding in Granville. There is just something about this picture that catches his spirit. A bit of an impish grin, jovial yet serious, kindness lines showing on his face. I never knew him to have any more hair than the strands he combed across the back. :)

This picture, while hard for me to look at, brings back such wonderful memories. Once again I reflect on how much has changed in even just my own life in 13 years. 2 children, living overseas, moving there and back again, 3 job changes, being divorced and on my own, finding a whole new circle of friends and experiences. What would he think? What advice would he have given me? Would he still have taken me under his wing like he had done so many times? Fixed me something to eat in the kitchen and just listened? Called me his "pooh" and given me a bear hug? Lavished love on his grandchildren?

So much more to tell in the rest of my family's lives as well. It truly is hard to believe, and sometimes I catch myself just wondering for a moment, just how much joy there would be if he were here...

But, as you know, there was a bigger plan, and so I reside and try to find comfort for the loss that still remains. ...Love you, daddy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Auntie Bo said...

I have asked myself the same questions many, many times. Life has changed so much for all of us. How can it be so many years and the pain can sometimes be still as fresh as if it happened yesterday? Bottom line, he put us first in his life. I think that's what we miss most of all - his way of taking care of us. I miss you so much daddy.

Tue Oct 02, 07:40:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Bill said...

I went back to reread this post and Maria's comment....I think he would be very proud of how his "little girl" is turning out. She so puts others first and his caring has translated into yourn caring. I wish I could have known him.
Have a good week. Bob Z wants to meet us for lunch. Let me know when you get settled in over there.

Sun Oct 28, 10:03:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home