Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hmmm...the driveway...

Since I thought I would be going places on Sunday, I thought maybe I should get started on the driveway Saturday afternoon.
The winds were whipping but seemed to have died down a bit.
People had been out with snowblowers and most could leave their houses with relative ease (though it really did seem everyone stayed home!)
I had not begun the arduous task...I hadn't even been outside for the last 24 hours!

So...


I opened the garage door and took a peek...
it didn't seem too bad! Only a few inches or so! How hard could this be?


Well...here was my first path. I was going nowhere fast.
I thought - wow, this really is going to be a 2 day job!


This gives you a small perception of what I was facing. Hard to tell, but that snow there was up to my knee!!!

So, I worked down the other side, thinking I could then go side to side, which would be easier than shoveling with my back.
Oh man, what a workout.
I was sweating but cold, the wind was kicking up, and I was getting frustrated...
I heard the neighbor come out and start digging on his sidewalk. His driveway was already shoveled.
So were my other neighbors!
I started to feel a teensy bit sorry for myself...
How did these other people get it all done!

I kept shoveling and was about to give up for today.
I looked up and there was Ken, my next door neighbor of 10 years!
He started digging at the high piles at the end of my driveway. Just how the plow hits going through, it is always a big problem for me to get out. I had called them to try to change the path just a little - and their response? "Good luck, lady. You'll probably need to hire somebody." This, after complementing them on how well they were cleaning the streets! Geez!
Anyway, Ken starts digging at it and I was thanking him profusely. He said it took their family of 4, 3 hours to dig out of their mess! So he was glad to help. Pretty soon George from across the street came over too! He had just gotten over the stomach flu, he said, and was willing to lend a hand. He couldn't believe how the plow pushed what appeared like the dumping ground against the end of my driveway!
So, thanks to these guys, good neighbors...I wasn't stuck for long!
THANK YOU!!!!!


Soon enough on Sunday, the sun came out and the path had been cleared for the friends to gather and plan.
Don't let the picture fool you...they had nothing to do with the shovel that didn't involve a game!
(George's house is the one across the street with the white van...and the cleared driveway!)
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home